Friday, September 18, 2009

Little Miss Chatterbox and her first day of school


Our local area is so blessed with an opportunity for the first time to have a Catholic Montessori school available for our children. There's only like 4 in the country and one of them happens to be right down the street from us. I love the Montessori method of teaching children and Little Miss Chatterbox seems to be meant for it. The school is offered three days a week from 9-12. Wednesday was her first day. Now, we have known from the beginning she was born that she was an intelligent person. She proves it to us time and time again. Mr. Funny had a meeting at the school because he will be going once a week to do the Atrium. (The Atrium is Montessori based lessons on the Catholic Faith) While we were there, the Directoress talked with Little Miss Chatterbox and then came over to talk to me. She mentioned that a few of the students in the Primary level would be moving to the Elementary level in January and that she thought Little Miss Chatterbox would probably be one of those students. I was excited about this because we were in the Elementary classroom and Little Miss Chatterbox was walking around the room finding some of her favorite things. Like the human body, sea shells, how plants grow. It seemed perfect for her.

Well, on her first day, as we walked in the door, the directoress suggested that Little Miss Chatterbox go into the Elementary classroom to see how she liked it. As I walked her into the room, she had a seat next to the circle of children who were sitting on the floor. I looked at her for a moment before leaving. She looked so tiny among those big kids. There she was. My little 5 year old with 9,10, 11, even 12 year olds. Sure, there were 6,7 & 8 year olds too but they even seemed big! I walked away feeling unsure about her going to the Elementary classroom. I had been so excited before but after seeing her there.... I just didn't know what to think.
When it was time to pick her up I was surprised to see that she was in the Primary classroom. She came out and gave me a big hug and told me how much she loves school. I asked her why she was in the Primary classroom and she said, "Well, (my friends) are in that classroom and well, I like being the oldest!" See? I told you she was smart. The next day I saw the directoress and she said that after just a few minutes of being in the Elementary classroom Little Miss asked if she could go to the other classroom. Then the directoress shared with me that she thinks Little Miss Chatterbox likes to be at the top of the totem pole and that she was more comfortable in that environment. She also mentioned that she would still be keeping track of her to see if she'd be ready to switch in January. I was relieved. I realized that I felt more comfortable with her there. Best of all, I didn't have to make that choice for her. No one did. Little Miss Chatterbox decided all on her own. A smart little girl, indeed.

1 comment: