Thursday, April 8, 2010

Music and Kids....

...go hand and hand, don't you think? At least, that's the way it is in my family. I start playing music to my kids while they're still in the womb. Then they continue to listen to music in our house or in the car everyday. We also sing to each other all day. We'll answer a question or give a command in tune. Or, we'll just sing about what we're doing. "Wash, wash those dishes. Cause we need them to be clean. Lala lala la." Ya' know, things like that. I've always loved music and singing and it is my hope that I pass this on to my kids. It was also something I fell in love with about the Catholic faith when I first started learning about it. They have beautiful music for the different times of the year. Our Church has a phenomenal choir. They're out of this world fantastic. So sharing music with my kids has a lot to do with our faith as well. Music is just part of who we are.
When I graduating from high school, my parents offered to buy me a gift of my choice. I knew it was going to either be a camera or a guitar. Looking back now, I probably should have gone with the camera. (But cameras did end up coming to me in other ways) Yes, I chose a guitar. It has always been a dream of mine to be able to just pull out a guitar and start playing any number of tunes and sing along. Especially after I became a mom. When it's a beautiful day outside, I wish I could lay out a blanket, take my guitar and sing some songs with my kids. Kinda like Maria and the Von Trapp children in The Sound of Music. But alas, I have never learned to play my guitar. When I first got it I learned a few chords and even made up my own song. But I have forgotten it all now. But here's that nice weather again and my guitar is calling out to me. The urge especially comes when I listen to my Beatles CD's. You see, if I was ever to learn a few chords, I would make sure they were the chords that I could use to learn a Beatles song. I love the Beatles. I love to sing the Beatles. My kids love the Beatles. I think Beatles music sounds nice when just played by an acoustic guitar and one voice. Yes, kids. One day we WILL sit outside and sing Beatles songs together while I play the guitar. One day....
I think that's why I'm so fond of this YouTube video I came across. First I found this one.

Then I found this one which is two years later and the kids are bigger.

Is that adorable or what?? It makes me smile so big when I watch it. And then my heart aches because I know that I'm missing that in my life!! One day....SOON!

1 comment:

  1. Awww-wow! That guy is really good! He sounded just like John and then just like Paul! hahaha. Really cute. Jo, just have Mr. Hev show you some stuff when you are over there! Bring your guitar with you and have him help you tune it and whatnot. I'm sure he would love to show you. :)

    ReplyDelete