Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Bathroom Renovation

For Christmas, Mike's parents bought us a new toilet, a new sink and new floor tiles for our main bathroom upstairs. It's been on our "To Do" list for quite some time. Like, three years. When we first moved into this house and I saw the wallpaper in the bathroom I said, "That's gotta be one of the first things to go!" But, life happens and getting wallpaper down becomes less of a priority. But, Mike's parents gave us a little push by buying us the main necessities and it suddenly became a "Must Do" in Mike's mind. You see, once there's something that needs to be done, Mike can't relax or think about anything else until it is, in fact, done. When I told him the date of Mr. Funny's birthday party (which is in less than 2 weeks) he got a little anxious thinking that the bathroom needed to be done before then. "People have to have a place to pee!" he said. I assured him that the nasty wallpaper and ugly floor were not going to stop people from using our perfectly working toilet. He agreed and began to relax. I also reminded him that he was still recovering from his neck injury and that adding another project right now wouldn't be a wise thing to do. Especially with a two week dead line. He agreed and it was put back on the "Must Do" list rather than Mike's "Must Do RIGHT NOW!" list. But then last Friday Mike decided he at least needed to get the toilet, sink and tiles out of his parents house because they had been there for a month. So he called his dad to see if his dad could drop the stuff off on Saturday. But you see, Mike's dad is also a "my hands must be busy at all times- I have to have a project going-let's get it done, why wait" kinda guy just like Mike. It's where Mike gets it. It's in his blood. So, his pops suggested that if he brings the stuff over he might as well lay the tile out for Mike so that when Mike got off of work he could finish off the job. So, on Friday night, despite our decision to wait, Mike started tearing up our ugly bathroom floor. I couldn't argue at this point because you don't decline an offer when someone is willing to help, ya'know? Later that night, Pops called and said he would just go ahead and come over early Saturday morning and do the whole thing. That way it would have all night to dry and Mike could go buy the grout after work and Pops could come over Sunday and help grout it. So he did. Then Saturday night Pops calls again and tells Mike he'll just go ahead and come over early Sunday morning and grout it while we're at Church. So he did. And they look great! He did a wonderful job. It has made such a difference already and now I'm getting excited. Yesterday Mike spent the evening tearing off the wallpaper. But some of the drywall came off with it. It looks pretty messy and Mike says there's no way we can just paint over it because there will be too many bumps and imperfections. So I suggest we get some drywall compound and texture the entire wall. BUT- Mike wants the walls done before he puts the toilet and sink in. And we have people coming over in less than two weeks, remember? He won't have time to texture the wall. Ah, but I will. Me, me, me! I'll do it! I'll do it! He didn't look to assured. How will I get it done with three little ones? Hmm...good question. I don't know but I'll figure it out. So today I've been looking on-line for texture ideas and the wheels are turning. I have a really cool idea in mind where you put a stencil on the wall and instead of painting over it, you put wall spackle over it. So it will be a raised stencil. It looks really cool. When Mike gets home we're heading over to Lowe's to get some inspiration and ideas. I'll let you know what we come up with!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...and I think it's on OUR blood to go, 'I don't know, but I'll figure it out.' LoL! Love it. I'm sure it will be beautiful..can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete